Apple ID is an integral part of Apple products such as Appstore, iCloud, iBooks Store, MacBook Store and more. You cannot make digital purchases without it. It syncs purchases, notes, passwords, etc. across Apple devices. In case you want to modify your Apple ID log-in email address or phone number this guide is for you.
Please Note: If your Apple ID ends with @me.com, @mac.com, @icloud.com, you cannot change it to a third party email address as Gmail. The only way to change it would be starting with a new Apple ID, which unfortunately means you will lose all your Apps, Movies, Books purchases connected with your current Apple ID.
How to Change the Email Address of your Apple ID?
- This step is crucial. Sign out of your Apple ID on all your devices to restrain from unwanted situations.
Note: “Find my iPhone” as well, because the new AppleID won’t update automatically and you’ll have to switch back to your previous email and then log out from Find my iPhone and again change to the new AppleID… So log-out before proceeding, it can save you a lot of time.
- Now, go to http://appleid.apple.com/ and log in with your current Apple ID.
- After login, click the Edit button on the right.
- Under APPLE ID click Change Apple ID.
- Fill in with your new email address and click Continue.
- Now you’ll be asked to enter the verification number sent to your new email address. Enter the 6 digits from your email and press Continue.
- Finally, click Done.
- Sign in with the new email address in all the Apple devices and services you are using.
How to Change your Apple ID if it’s a Phone number
The steps are the same as above, you just need to enter your new phone number as your AppleID instead of an email.
- Crucial step: Sign out of your Apple ID on all your devices.
- Head over, to appleid.apple.com and log in.
- Click the Edit button on the right.
- Below APPLE ID click Change Apple ID.
- Now enter the phone number you wish to use, with your country code, and verify by entering the verification number sent to your phone number.
- Sign in with your new credentials on all your Apple devices and services you use.